Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Insulin Neuritis

Hi everyone,
I am wondering if anyone of you has heard of or suffered with Insulin Neuritis.
The reason I am asking is I post on another forum and one of the member's boyfriend was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and shortly afterwards started suffering from debilitating muscle pain throughout his body. The OP told me he was diagnosed with BG of 500 plus and it was brought down very rapidly. After talking with her she asked me to post this question over here for her and I will post the link to the forum. He is on medicine for the pain and was diagnosed with neuropathy but I am thinking it is Insulin Neuritis and not neuropathy.
The forum is http://www.diabetesforum.com 
When you go there click on Forum and then go down to Diabetes Complications and then look for the threads listed below.
The threads you want to look for are
Debilitating Muscle Pain
Thoughts of Suicide
Insulin Neuritis.
You will most likely want to read the the latter thread first.
Any help her boyfriend can get will be greatly appreciated.
Having neuropathy symptoms  myself, my heart goes out to this person.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Frequent Responder
__bsc_
Total Posts: 621
Registered on: ‎05-26-2010

Insulin Neuritis

Insulin Neuritis is not really a recognized clinical condition.  More information can be found in this discussion (BMJ is free, just sign up).  It is just as likely that the poster's boyfriend had highly elevated blood sugars for some time and that could have caused the neuropathy.  In either case, while the pain may be really bad, you can heal from neuropathy, but it can take months.  And actually, pain during healing is common and actually can be a good sign of progress.  I was not able to find anything that suggests treatment any different than the treatment for neuropathy which the boyfriend is already undertaking.
Super Advisor
leehr
Total Posts: 2,192
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Insulin Neuritis

* Type 1 Diagnosed for 56 years as of Nov 2013
* 50 Year Type 1 Medalist Award from Joslin Diabetes Clinic (Harvard Medical School)
* Medtronic Paradigm Revel 523 insulin pump as of March 2011
* Insulin: Humalog
* Food Allergies: milk, yeast, corn
* Hashimoto's thyroid disease
* A bit of arthritis
* One kidney due to benign Angiomyolipoma.
* Volunteer Community Disaster Co-Coordinator
* Hobbies/Interests: Wildlife Naturalists, artist, gardening, music
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527

Insulin Neuritis

Actually the boyfriend is type 1 and his blood sugars were brought down really fast. The treatment is the same as it is for severe neuropathy so with type 1 I have never seen neuropathy diagnosed at the   onset of type 1. Usually type 1 is much quicker in formation and diagnosis than type 2 at least as far as I know.  You are right though I can't find a different treatment than what the boyfriend is doing already. I think it is just a thing of finding the right drug combination etc.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

oredding
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎01-23-2014

Re: Insulin Neuritis

My doctor warned me of a pre-diabetic condition and said that I needed to lose about 15 pounds. Within four weeks, I loss ten pounds, mainly by giving up food and drinks with sugar (juices, honey, donuts, cookies, etc.) I am a 63-year old male, healthy (or was), now 173 lbs. Shortly having that change in diet and loss in weight, I developed peripheral neuropathy. Based on inferences regarding insulin neuritis, anyone care to comment?

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,342
Topics: 307
High Fives: 673
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 72

Re: Insulin Neuritis

[ Edited ]

oredding wrote:

My doctor warned me of a pre-diabetic condition and said that I needed to lose about 15 pounds. Within four weeks, I loss ten pounds, mainly by giving up food and drinks with sugar (juices, honey, donuts, cookies, etc.) I am a 63-year old male, healthy (or was), now 173 lbs. Shortly having that change in diet and loss in weight, I developed peripheral neuropathy. Based on inferences regarding insulin neuritis, anyone care to comment?

Oredding, and other new folks,

Our beloved Deafmack (the one that started this thread)  passed away this past November. There may be one or two people on our forums that can offer information on Insulin Neuritis. You may want to try googling it.

P.S. Look at the first two posts in this thread for links.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~