Valued Contributor
ajsammycat
Total Posts: 970
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

INSULIN NOT WORKING

Rich,

Ok, one thing I see is that it's possible you're still not taking as much long-acting insulin as you might need. I think this because you woke up with a bg of 164 -- a bit high, though not excessively so. You might want to talk to your endo about upping the Lantus a couple of units more to bring those fasting numbers down. It's also possible that you might see better results if you split your long-acting dosage in half, taking half in the morning and half in the evening, but I'd encourage you to talk with your doctor first before making changes.

You also say you hit a high of 297 one hour after you ate and that it came down to 208 an hour later. Now, this is a bit trickier to figure out. In between the time you finished eating and the time you took that first bg reading, did you feel hypo at all? If you did, your insulin may have "peaked" before the food got into your system, causing you to have a low and causing your liver to put out extra glucose, thus making that a rebound high. It's possible that at breakfast, you need even more insulin per gram of carbs than you do at other times of the day, and that explains your bgs. The only way to know what's really going on is to see if you can convince your endo that wearing a CGM -- a Continuous Glucose Monitor -- for a few days is a good idea. Using that data and the data from your meter and the timing of your shots can help you and your endo figure out what's going on.

Hope this helps some,

Angela
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

INSULIN NOT WORKING

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Responder
greg_texan
Total Posts: 30
Registered on: ‎09-15-2010

INSULIN NOT WORKING

It sounds like you might be a Type 2 insulin dependant. Be aware Insulin does work, unless its a bad bottle of insulin.

(1) You may need additional medication (pills) to countermeaser the insulin resistance, If your insulin resistant. 

(2) You could have other conditions inflamation or an Infection both can be acute or chronic in which can raise your BS.

Check your blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol and triglycerides often. These can cause the same ill effects.

Having diabetes (Type 1(A)- Autoimmune Disease)  for 36 years I have developed chronic inflamation and frequent infections in which contribute to a high BS. My BS can be 75 to 600 plus. I start felling super ill around 600.  

Good Luck
Responder
greg_texan
Total Posts: 30
Registered on: ‎09-15-2010

INSULIN NOT WORKING

Long Lost Member
bja62
Total Posts: 100
Registered on: ‎06-04-2010

INSULIN NOT WORKING

Knowledge is power, rmorrissey. I'd recommend these books. They're very helpful in understanding how, and why, insulin works.

Think Like A Pancreas

http://cgi.ebay.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Guide-Managing-Di-/330581083097?pt=US_Nonfiction_B...

Using Insulin

http://cgi.ebay.com/Using-Insulin-Everything-You-Need-Success-/270779251535?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&ha...

Type 1
Dx January 2006
Lantus - Novalog
Heart Attack June 2010
Plavix - Carvedilol - Simvastatin - Lisinopril

Long Lost Member
sara82
Total Posts: 6
Registered on: ‎07-20-2011

INSULIN NOT WORKING

I have been a type 1 diabetec for 29 years. 12 years ago I have a test done and still had 6% I have insulin resistance and found after getting my insulin pump that I think it was only resistant to the long working. My Dr took me off complex carbs and starchy veggies 6 months ago. The only time I get a bolos of insulin (like sliding scale before eating) is when I drink mixed drinks with sugar (soda, juice, mixers). My energy level is low due to not eating carbs, but I have lost weight, and gotten my A1C down to 6.1.   Sara
Advisor
Dragonstar
Total Posts: 1,101
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

INSULIN NOT WORKING

Sara,

A thought if your doctor hasn't checked for it yet.   My daughter was having severe insulin resistance, 3 times in DKA in hospital last year, always running way high numbers and insulin was acting like we were giving her water in the shots...

I know marymary on here has a daughter with PCOS *might google that* and had her put on metforum as it helps the body work better with insulin even in type 1's.   I talked to my daughter's doc about it, he ran a couple tests and Courtney shows all the signs of having it aslo.  So.. long story short.  He put her on smallest dose of metforum daily, her numbers have been down so low we've had to recalculate her I:C and long acting, she's not getting the DKA numbers the week before her period like she used to and she actually is feeling and acting more like a normal kid now!     Her endo wouldn't even hear about the metforum treatment for a type 1, but her regular doctor (PA) she sees IS a type 1 from age 16.  He's very open to suggestions and research I've shown him.   We dropped the endo and now she see's the PA for everything.  He's been a huge help to her with this the past year.   What a difference a good doctor is!  So.. i'm just tossing this out as idea since you have the same problem with insulin resistance.

Mother of Courtney, Dx'd Type 1 in 2006 at age 14.

Self: Dx'd "Pre"-Diabetic 8/8/14 *and we all know what that means*
Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,204
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

INSULIN NOT WORKING

I also take Metformin. My primary put me on it years ago, along with actos, when my a1c was climbing ( mostly due to lack of attention). since I got my act together, I tried to stop the Metformin but always see my numbers climb. I do not consider myself particularly insulin resistant ( total daily dose is around 30 units) - I never was tested for it?- but I'd recommend asking the doctor about Metformin if you see your inslin needs increasing.
Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.