Frequent Responder
amg1099
Total Posts: 97
Registered on: ‎06-26-2011

How to count carbs from - brown rice packaging

Brown rice:

Can anyone help me on how to count the carb from here?
It says serving size 1/4 cup (45 g)
Makes 3/4 cup prepared
... Total carb 34 grams
What I don't understand how much is the carb amount when it's cooked? How do I count the carbs here let's say, if I make a fist size of brown rice, how much carb would that be?

If I say, have two cups of this rice, how much carb would it have? Thanks everyone

AIC
5/24/11 - > 12
7/29/11 - 7.3

2 units of Humalog before breakfast
3 units of Humalog before lunch
4 units of Humalog before dinner
10 units of Lantus at bedtime.
Frequent Responder
amg1099

Re: How to count carbs from - brown rice packaging

carb counting.jpg

AIC
5/24/11 - > 12
7/29/11 - 7.3

Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,178
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

serving size 1/4 cup (45 g)
Makes 3/4 cup prepared
...Total carb 34 grams

1/4 cup of dry rice would make 3/4 cup cooked rice with 34 grams of carb.

For easier math, I would round that off to be 11 grams of carb for each 1/4 cup COOKED, so 1 whole cup =44 (technically a little more), 2 cups = 88 grams of carb, etc.  I estimate most rice, couscous, pasta, etc.  to be 45 grams/cup (but that's not necessarily the case - just my estimate if I don't have packaging)

(sorry if anyone saw my previous post here. I misread the carbs and gave the wrong info).

Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.
Frequent Responder
amg1099

When I read it before, I thought that 1/4 cup of rice is 34 grams of carbs...I'm confused :smileysad:

Pam01 wrote:

serving size 1/4 cup (45 g)
Makes 3/4 cup prepared
...Total carb 34 grams

1/4 cup of dry rice would make 3/4 cup cooked rice with 34 grams of carb.

For easier math, I would round that off to be 11 grams of carb for each 1/4 cup COOKED, so 1 whole cup =44 (technically a little more), 2 cups = 88 grams of carb, etc.  I estimate most rice, couscous, pasta, etc.  to be 45 grams/cup (but that's not necessarily the case - just my estimate if I don't have packaging)

(sorry if anyone saw my previous post here. I misread the carbs and gave the wrong info).

AIC
5/24/11 - > 12
7/29/11 - 7.3

Frequent Responder
amg1099

i thought that based on the label, 1/4 cup = 34g carbs. 

AIC
5/24/11 - > 12
7/29/11 - 7.3

Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

That is confusing! I just got my package of brown rice, says pretty much the same. When I have it I figure 1/4 cup @ 32 carbs is a serving.

Why not ask on the eating well forum? We have great cooks, maybe some are good at this too? At least figure this out.
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,269
Topics: 305
High Fives: 660
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Amg,

Read Pam's reply again. 1/4 cup of DRY rice, makes 3/4 of COOKED rice. Pam figures it the same as I do, but I count 1 cup cooked at 45 grams. It is the exact same as Pam's calculation, because 45 grams divided by 4, is 11.25 grams per quarter cup of cooked rice. Pam's calculation is better math wise, as the .25 is dropped - as it should be. If that calculation had been .50, then it would have gone to the next higher number, ie: 11.50 x 4 = 46 grams. It works the same as when dosing insulin, or figuring any math problem. By the way, brown rice and white rice - are the same as far as carb grams go. The only difference in the two rices, is that brown rice takes longer to cook.

Trisha 

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Frequent Responder
amg1099

I have since cut back on consuming white rice because they said that brown rice isbetter for diabetics.

AIC
5/24/11 - > 12
7/29/11 - 7.3

Super Advisor
ndali
Total Posts: 526
Registered on: ‎11-10-2009

Dry rice expands when you add water and cook it. When you cook 1/4 cup of dry rice, you will get 3/4 cup of cooked rice. The carbs are the same, since water doesn't have carbs. So a cooked serving of 3/4 cup will have 34 carbs, the same as the dry 1/4 cup
Diagnosed T1 January 1987
Pumping since 2001
Diagnosed Raynaud's January 2010
Diagnosed Lupus January 2013

Established Advisor
Angua
Total Posts: 787
Registered on: ‎04-02-2010

amg1099 wrote:

I have since cut back on consuming white rice because they said that brown rice isbetter for diabetics.

Depends on what you mean by "better". :smileywink:

I'm not being confrontational or anything here, and I do have a genuine question: seriously, there's no carb difference between white rice and brown rice.  In my experience both give me a nasty high, even when I carb count accurately and don't guesstimate.  Is it the fiber content of brown rice that's supposed to lower the glycemic index or something, since that's the only think I can imagine changing it?