Here are some reputable useful websites

Diabetes and Employment

American Diabetes Association
Regarding Employment

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and Pump Supplies Help ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

trisha01
Total Posts: 5,988
Topics: 295
High Fives: 567
Blog Posts: 59
Solutions: 69
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes - 2010 Diabetes Care

Standards 2010

Almost book length! Take from the article what you will. There are some things that are spot on, and some things that they REALLY NEED to work on. There is quite a bit of information, however, most of it is geared to the medical industry. I've brought a few things to the forefront. Italics are mine.

this answers part of my platelets co-relation question .....
Although platelets from patients with diabetes have altered function, it is unclear what, if any, impact that finding has on the required dose of aspirin for cardioprotective effects in the patient with diabetes.

c. Self-management.
No matter how sound the medical regimen, it can only be as good as the ability of the family and/or individual to implement it. Family involvement in diabetes remains an important component of optimal diabetes management throughout childhood and into adolescence. Health care providers who care for children and adolescents therefore must be capable of evaluating the behavioral, emotional, and psychosocial factors that interfere with implementation and then must work with the individual and family to resolve problems that occur and/or to modify goals as appropriate.

4. Self-management in the hospital
Self-management of diabetes in the hospital may be appropriate for competent adult patients who have a stable level of consciousness, have reasonably stable daily insulin requirements, successfully conduct self-management of diabetes at home, have physical skills needed to successfully self-administer insulin and perform SMBG, have adequate oral intake, and are proficient in carbohydrate counting, use of multiple daily insulin injections, or insulin pump therapy and sick-day management. The patient and physician, in consultation with nursing staff, must agree that patient self-management is appropriate under the conditions of hospitalization. For patients conducting self-management in the hospital, it is imperative that basal, prandial, and correction doses of insulin and results of bedside glucose monitoring be recorded as part of the patient's hospital medical record. While many institutions allow patients on insulin pumps to continue these devices in the hospital, others express concern regarding use of a device unfamiliar to staff, particularly in patients who are not able to manage their own pump therapy. If a patient is too ill to self-manage either multiple daily injections or CSII, then appropriate subcutaneous doses can be calculated on the basis of their basal and bolus insulin needs during hospitalization, with adjustments for changes in nutritional or metabolic status.

6. MNT in the hospital
Hospital diets continue to be ordered by calorie levels based on the �ADA diet.� However, since 1994 the ADA has not endorsed any single meal plan or specified percentages of macronutrients, and the term �ADA diet� should no longer be used. Current nutrition recommendations advise individualization based on treatment goals, physiologic parameters, and medication usage. Because of the complexity of nutrition issues in the hospital, a registered dietitian, knowledgeable and skilled in MNT, should serve as an inpatient team member. The dietitian is responsible for integrating information about the patient's clinical condition, eating, and lifestyle habits and for establishing treatment goals in order to determine a realistic plan for nutrition therapy (386,387).

Trisha

Trisha

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and Pump Supplies Help ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

trisha01

The new government health care insurance site
HealthCare.gov

National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse (NDIC)
A service of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), NIH

Lab Tests Online
labtestsonline

Banting and Best Diabetes Centre - University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine
Approach to the Management of Diabetes Mellitus - 7th Edition
Chapter 1
Read online or download pdf
NOTE: I've not had a chance to read this yet

FREE Diabetes ID Necklace
Diabetes Research Wellness Foundation

PubMed Central
A free archive of life sciences journals

The New England Journal of Medicine archives

Some of these may require a login to read, sorry.

Trisha

Trisha

trisha01

Online Hemoglobin A1c Calculator
http://www.pace-med-apps.com/a1ccalc.htm

Islets of Hope for persons with diabetes
http://www.isletsofhope.com/

American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association
http://www.aarda.org/

Archives of Internal Medicine
http://archinte.ama-assn.org/contents-by-date.0.dtl

Disease News - Health News, Medicine News, Disease Research ...
http://www.physorg.com/health-news/diseases/

Trisha

Trisha

aurorabori
Total Posts: 41
Registered on: ‎07-15-2010

Thanks Trisha for all the great website adresses, you have been doing your research!

Lori
Long Lost Member
jjordan77581
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎08-13-2010

I would like to inform the group of a new website we have developed to make managing diabetes easy for patients. We accept data from all pumps and meters and create easy to read dashboards and reports. We have social media built into the platform for collaboration between patients and caregivers, and a rewards program for compliancy. Think about this as iPod meets Facebook with rewards for compliance for diabetes.

My daughter has been a diabetic for 10 years and I have always been frustrated with the tools to manage her diabetes so with help from other diabetics and Riley Hospital for Children I created a toolset that combines Clinical, Social, Behavioral, and Financial into one platform from a diabetic�s perspective.

You can also test drive the tools at https:\\s5health.sdmindy.com.
trisha01

JCI The Journal of Clinical Investigation - free access to all research

Autoimmune type 1 diabetes: resolved and unresolved issues

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/14257

archives goes back to 1924

p.s. it may take a minute for the page to load - even with DSL.

Lori - just doing my part to help. Thanks.

Trisha

Trisha

trisha01

James Jordan (8/13/2010)
I would like to inform the group of a new website we have developed to make managing diabetes easy for patients. We accept data from all pumps and meters and create easy to read dashboards and reports. We have social media built into the platform for collaboration between patients and caregivers, and a rewards program for compliancy. Think about this as iPod meets Facebook with rewards for compliance for diabetes.

My daughter has been a diabetic for 10 years and I have always been frustrated with the tools to manage her diabetes so with help from other diabetics and Riley Hospital for Children I created a toolset that combines Clinical, Social, Behavioral, and Financial into one platform from a diabetic�s perspective.

You can also test drive the tools at https:\\s5health.sdmindy.com.

Mr. Jordan,

I would not consider this to be a reputable web site, with the link that you have shown, which consists of the following info only, which I have copied and pasted from that link.

The s5health Advantage

Strategic
Smart
Simple
Social
Self-reliant

On this website you can:

Upload data from all your devices to consolidate diabetes information in one area
View easy to read dashboards and reports to track trends and trouble areas
Easily track blood sugar levels
Share your ideas and thoughts about managing diabetes
Find educational videos and material on diabetes related topics
Get the latest news on diabetes
Set alerts to remind you of upcoming events
Participate in surveys

User name:
Password:
Forgot Password? | Sign Up

Trisha

Trisha

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,261
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

HERE is the web site where there is more information on this S5 program...

It is hard to tell whether this is a commercial enterprise, which would be barred from posting here by our terms of use, because in order to find out, I think you have to "Creat an Account" But I don't see the word FREE anywhere, so I suspect there are fees involved.

If someone confirms my suspicion correct, please report what you find here and to the forum moderators. I dont; have the time to pursue this further.
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

trisha01

MOrris Older (8/17/2010)
HERE is the web site where there is more information on this S5 program...

It is hard to tell whether this is a commercial enterprise, which would be barred from posting here by our terms of use, because in order to find out, I think you have to "Creat an Account" But I don't see the word FREE anywhere, so I suspect there are fees involved.

If someone confirms my suspicion correct, please report what you find here and to the forum moderators. I dont; have the time to pursue this further.

Morris, with your link, I was able to access that page and a couple of others. It IS a commercial website...as shown below in quote box...

The diabetes management portal will allow providers to reduce the amount of time staff spends on the phone with patients managing diabetes. Subject to applicable laws and regulations, providers can be reimbursed from Medicaid, Medicare, and private health insurance coverage when using the diabetes management portal to help patients manage their diabetes.

I reported his post right after I responded to him.

Thanks for your help!

Trisha

Trisha