Occasional Visitor
Rebecca_D_88
Total Posts: 6
Registered on: ‎07-04-2012

Hair loss

Hey my name is Rebecca, I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in December 2003. My symptoms were extreme weight loss, hunger, thirst etc. The norms but I also had extreme hair loss that no doctor has ever addressed. I used to have hair so thick you could barely wrap your hand around, now I have such thin hair its starting to show bald areas. This hair loss has not stopped since I was diagnosed. Please help its making me feel embarrassed especially around my sisters who still have thick hair.

Mrs. D
Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,138
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Hair loss

Hair thinning and loss are often associated with thyroid issues.
Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.
Frequent Advisor
t1wayne
Total Posts: 930
Registered on: ‎10-30-2011

Rebecca - it is possible that your hair loss is not related to your D; we T1's tend to assume D first when something new arises, but it could just be something new.  Leading causes of hair loss in women include pregnancy (I assume you're not...), thyroid disorders (as Pam already mentioned), anemia, polycystic ovary syndrome, and skin conditions such as psoriasis and dermatitis.  The one relevant factor that suggests D is that autoimmune diseases can lead to hair loss; but this appears to be less common than the other causes (it doesn't get much press....).  Behaviours that can lead to hair loss include sudden wieght loss or taking too much Vitamin A.  Another suspected relationship is with menopause, but that may simply be coincidental, ie, both occur later in life.  Your next best step would be to see a dermatologist; this is their balliwick.  Good Luck!

w.

Wayne T1 May 1966
MDI; 46u Lantus Basal
Advisor
browneyez80
Total Posts: 102
Registered on: ‎10-14-2011

When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I was hospitalized & was there for like 2-3 months.  I lost a ton of weight...when I was admitted in the begining I was 230 lbs then I lost like 70 lbs due to being on an IV for the entire time..I was down to 160 lbs & I had SUPER thick hair that just kept falling out...My doc said it was due to my MASSIVE & FAST weight loss...I slowly gained some of the weight back & my hair is slowly growing back...

I wore MANY cute hats because I was slef conscious...It was kinda fun to buy & wear fun silly & cute hats...A wig is another idea. I also took a bunch of vitamins that helped me get healthier.

How much weight have you lost? Are you doing ok?

-- Medtronic MiniMed Insulin Pump 723 - since Sept 2010
-- Continuous Glucose Monitor Sensor - since Sept 2010
-- Pumping Novolog Insulin & Loving it

Diagnosed Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetic - Due to Necrotizing Pancreatitis Surgery (removed 70% of Pancreas)
Responder
JennHu
Total Posts: 16
Registered on: ‎05-07-2012

Hi Rebecca - I also have Type 1 and a number of other autoimmune related conditions - one is alopecia areata (I hope I spelled that right :smileylol:)  This condition runs in my family.  I am lucky to have the mild form of the disease - my younger sister has alopecia universalis, the total loss of all hair.  I would suggest that you visit a dermatologist who is familiar with the condition.  I was very lucky to find one who has the same condition herself.  I had large round hair loss patches which she injected with some kind of medicine - sorry I don't recall what it was - but that triggered regrowth of hair.  Right now I am in remission.  I do have hypothyroidism and when my medication needs adjusting that will trigger the hairloss.  My dermotologist told me that when I notice patches reoccuring to call her office right away and tell them to work me in.  I feel so lucky to have such a wonderful doctor because otherwise it would take months to get in to see her.  Hair loss can happen for a number of reasons.  But I would see a dermatologist first.  Good luck and take care! 

Jennifer
Type 1 since 1997
Paradigm 722 with CGM
Frequent Responder
wintersquash
Total Posts: 131
Registered on: ‎01-13-2012

Last summer befor I was diagnosed I was super stressed and lost  a bunch of weight and my hair thinned.  I have been taking a vitamin, eating healthy, keeping my blood sugar good, exercising, and treating my hair with coconut oil and olive oil.  My hair has grown in thick again and it is shiny.  Bad nutrition and stress can be very detrimental on hair.

Current A1C is 5.6
TonyNSW20
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎07-31-2012

Rebecca_D_88 wrote:

Hey my name is Rebecca, I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in December 2003. My symptoms were extreme weight loss, hunger, thirst etc. The norms but I also had extreme hair loss that no doctor has ever addressed. I used to have hair so thick you could barely wrap your hand around, now I have such thin hair its starting to show bald areas. This hair loss has not stopped since I was diagnosed. Please help its making me feel embarrassed especially around my sisters who still have thick hair.

Stress can also be a hair killer if left unmanaged. This is what is called stress alopecia. Too much stress can send a large number of your hair follicles into resting phase, which causes them to fall off in clumps. 

Accepting diabetes and the lifestyle it engenders is often a source of chronic anxiety, and sometimes of depression, for those with the condition. That is why daily stress is also another possible cause for the acceleration of hair loss.

hope things get better.., :smileyhappy:

Tony, NSW
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Hello Rebecca,

First of all welcome to these message boards.Glad you could join us. I agree that there are a number of causes for hair loss from having

a virus to stress to thyroid problems. I would definitely ask your doctor to see an endocrinologist to find out what is causing the hair loss.

I know for sure that viruses can cause hair loss as that happened to me a number of years ago when I ended up with a virus that decided

to move in on my and not move out for almost 8 months.

I can imagine how frustrated you must be. I hope you are able to figure out the reason for your hair loss and find a solution to stop the

hair loss soon.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Super Advisor
Coastal1
Total Posts: 650
Registered on: ‎07-12-2011

Wow - so much good advice on this thread, Rebecca.  Hope something works.  I'd just like to second the suggestion for using cocounut oil (sounds ridiculous but it really does help for some) and also L-Lysine.  It's an essential amino acid that was mentioned on the Dr. Oz show for people who have hair thinning and loss for a variety of health-related (as well as genetic) reasons.  I haven't had any hair loss -- but definitely some thinning and taking 1000 mg/day has made a noticeable difference.  YMMV of course.  Good luck~!  Let us know what works or how it goes.  And welcome!

Type 1A ~ Diagnosed 1967 (age 10)
MDI ~ Levemir & Humalog
Dexcom G4
Super Advisor
leehr
Total Posts: 2,179
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

You might want to let your doctor know that this hair loss is causing stress for you and it may also be keeping your BG from better control [if this is true, of course].  When I had this problem I visited with a dermatologist and he suggested different type of shampoo and conditioner product].  My internist and endo shown little concern so I ask that  my thyroid be checked more often; it was and meds were raised. But  the meds were too high a dose so they were decreased AND ....hair began to fall out again.  I won my point! Today my hair is thinner than it used to be,  but still naturally curly and no bald spots.

There are many factors and each has to be looked at and considered.  Perhaps hormonal, or diabetes, or thyroid issues, or other medication.  Use a  bit of spunk and ask your doctor to help you because the hair loss is causing stress!  We all know what stress does to our BG levels and so does the doctor! 

I  strongly suggest to stop using a hair blow dryer,  curling iron, no color changes or rinses; at least for now. 

Best of luck

Joan

* Type 1 Diagnosed for 56 years as of Nov 2013
* 50 Year Type 1 Medalist Award from Joslin Diabetes Clinic (Harvard Medical School)
* Medtronic Paradigm Revel 523 insulin pump as of March 2011
* Insulin: Humalog
* Food Allergies: milk, yeast, corn
* Hashimoto's thyroid disease
* A bit of arthritis
* One kidney due to benign Angiomyolipoma.
* Volunteer Community Disaster Co-Coordinator
* Hobbies/Interests: Wildlife Naturalists, artist, gardening, music