Frequent Visitor
rjblyn
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎10-12-2011

HYPOGLYCEMIC ENCEPHALOPATHY

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED, OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCED HYPOGLYCEMIC ENCEPHALOPATHY?

INTERESTED IN SHARING WHAT SUBTLE PERSONALITY CHANGES OR COGNITIVE DEFICITS NOTED AFTER SURVIVING A SEVERE, PROLONGED, AND UNTREATED HYPOGLYCEMIC EPISODE WITH REBOUND HYPERGLYCEMIA AND EVENTUAL DETECTION AND HOSPITALIZATION.

PLEASE ANSWER AS A PATIENT, FRIEND, OR HEALTH CARE WORKER/NURSE,DOCTOR.

THANKS.

Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,199
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: HYPOGLYCEMIC ENCEPHALOPATHY

Who are you and why are you asking?

I know a type 1 who had encephalitis but it was never refered to as hypoglycemic encephalitis.
Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.
Frequent Visitor
rjblyn

Encephalopathy, not encephalitis.

Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,199
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

[ Edited ]

Hm.

"Regardless of the cause of encephalitis, the resulting symptoms are the same depending on the region of the brain that is affected. The broader term encephalopathy is frequently substituted for encephalitis"http://cranialsubluxations.com/encephalitis.htm

And you still don't feel like sharing who you are or why you ask??

Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Encephalitis and Encephalopathy are two distinct conditons. Hypoglycemic Encephalopathy is when a person has a hypoglycemic low that lasts such an extended period of time that brain damage results. It may be or not be caused by the low blood sugar of diabetes as there are other reasons for hypoglycemic episodes.

My Sister has a condition called Leukoencephalopathy caused by the treatment for brain cancer 10 plus years ago. Encephalopathy refers to an weakness of damage to some portion of the brain. Leuko refers to the white matter portion of the brain, hence white matter brain damage.

To the OP, may I ask why you are asking? Are you asking because you need support of some kind or are you looking for more information. If you are looking for more information, I don't know if we an help you but if you want to share more information you are most welcome to. If you are a relative of a person going through hypoglycemic encephalopathy, I can only say, even though my sister has a different condition, dealing with a brain injury whether permanent or not is difficult. My Sister's is progressive and there is no cure. I do however wish you the very best and you are more than welcome to post here.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Super Advisor
deafmack

I can tell you this that whatever subtle personality and cognitive changes you see you should document as a person with brain injury can act fine one minute and show their brain injury problems the next. Definitely keep a diary of anything you notice. A person with any type of brain damage can act perfectly normal one minute and then not right the next. Document everyhing. Keep a diary. It will really come in as an important tool.

Frequent Visitor
rjblyn

I AM INTERESTED AS A FRIEND, A SUPPORT PERSON, AND AS A CURIOUS LIFETIME LEARNER.

I THINK IT IS AN AREA THAT IS UNDER SERVED, UNDER REPORTED, NOT ENOUGH CLINICAL RESEARCH BUT I DON'T KNOW...

FOUND A SNIPPET ON NAMENDA AND ERYTHROPOIETIN- THINK THAT WAS EUROPEAN...AND MAYBE LAB RATS...

I HAVE NOW, AND HAVE HAD MANY "FEELERS" OUT WITHOUT MUCH TO GAIN...INSURANCE CO DOESN'T SEE IT AS A CRITERIA FOR REHAB FACILITY-ONLY "EXTENDED CARE" I.E. GLORIFIED NURSING HOME ... (POLITICAL- INTERESTING), ENDOCRINOLOGISTS SAY " IT IS NEURO'S AREA", NEUROS SAY "HAVE TO RULE OUT THE TREATABLE, NO OTHER HOPE".

I SHUDDER TO THINK THAT MOST TYPE 1S DON'T MAKE IT THROUGH THIS SEVERE TYPE OF INSULT- MAYBE BECAUSE TIGHT CONTROL IS SO RARE. I THINK MOST DIE IF NOT UNDER SURVEILLANCE  BY A LOVED ONE. I WONDER WHAT THE STATISTICS ARE...

I WISH THERE WAS MORE TO READ ON THE SUBJECT.

I WANT TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS HAD SUCCESS/IMPROVEMENT  WITH THE PASSAGE OF TIME- COGNTIVE/SPEECH THERAPY. ANYTHING ELSE.

THANKS

Super Advisor
deafmack

Thank you for letting us know your reason for interest. I can say this, that even though the area of brain injury is huge and the causes are many, treatment does rely on ongoing analysis of the person being treated and documentation of the symptoms exhibited by the patient. I am finding that with brain injury that there can be symptoms that appear months or years later that did not appear before or at least were not apparent. The type of brain damage my Sister has is extremely rare as it was not seen previously because generally people who had brain cancer did not survive. Well now more people are surviving brain cancer so more cases of Leukoencephalopathy are being seen. I think with hypoglycemic encephalopathy you might run into the same thing because it is rare in occurence and there has not been a lot of study done in that area. I think the area of care is dependent on the amount of damage. Definitely rehab should be the first thing tried, but sometimes, the person exhibitng such a brain injury may not be able to participate in therapy and needs more time to recuperate from such a traumatic event. All I can say, is to have a positive outlook, and take one day at at time and find others who are going through similar experiences so you can share. I belong to 2 support groups and it is an area that helps me get through the day to day stuff. And above all, learn to laugh at the seemingly small things.

Occasional Contributor
lxpilgrim
Total Posts: 15
Registered on: ‎06-21-2011

I have read through the previous posts about  HYPOGLYCEMIC ENCEPHALOPATHY. I learned a lot about that.  with respect to me, I did not suffer from HYPOGLYCEMIC ENCEPHALOPATHY. I have been diagnosed for type 1 diabetes for over 5 years. During the five years, I did not have a sever and prolonged hypos. In my memory, my BG once dropped to 1.9 mmol/L. One day, my BG lowered to 2.3 for more than two hours, on the day, my BG continued to rise through out the day, although I took more insulin to treat the hyperglycemia. But one or two episode does not affect my cognitive or intellectual capacity.

Dx on 2006-5-27; HbA1C 14.6, T1 DM
MDI, novolog 5/8/8, basal levemir: 4/3 twice a day
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Frequent Visitor
rjblyn

thanks everyone

i will try to find a local support group- but the support would be for my friend's wife- so.....you can lead a horse to water- probably best to find one that focuses on encephalopathy/encephalitis v diabetes

hey, hgba1c= 14  for real? get that down buddy!

i suspect my friend was bg less than 10 mg/dl for hours, maybe all night, then rebounded after his pump either ran out or batteries died- but his a1c runs less than 6- so he recovered

again, thanks