Registered on: ‎12-27-2012

Feeling tired all the time sleep but wake up tired

Type 1 feeling tired all the time sleep but wake up tired

Lantus 22 and nova rapid 20 per meal

Diabetes controlled

This is the worst I ever felt

Diagnosed with diabetes type (1) 13 years ago

32 years old, 80 Kg, 1.69 m

Lost interest in life e.g. I still use my Nokia phone don’t watch TV don’t go out because I feel tired.

Used to be very very active and social person. 180 degree change >_<!

Help pls

I read on the web that it is because of lantus and that porcine insulin will make much difference.

Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,207
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Feeling tired all the time sleep but wake up tired

This sounds like classic depression to me. All kinds of reasons this might be happening right now - you have a chronic illness, it's winter, less sunlight, holiday season.

One of the best t hings is going to seem like one of the hardest - get outside and walk, or exercise inside. 

Start small, and give yourself some room and acceptance, but  try to get to a doctor  and mention these symptoms. 

Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.
Established Advisor
Betty32506
Total Posts: 353
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

If your thyroid hasn't been checked maybe it should be.  Have you lost or gained weight?  Since you have one autoimmune problem it would not be uncommon to have others.  Thyroid autoimmune can be Hashimoto's or Graves Disease and the basic TSH could look like you are in range.  The antibodies should be tested for.

Betty

LADA

Graves Disease

Hashimoto's

Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

It does sound like depression but if you live north in Canada, it also could be seasonal affective disorder. This is caused by being cooped up insde all day and with the shortened daylight hours that can play a part as well. Definitely let your doctor know what is going on. If this is a recent thing you could have a bug of some kind so you need to rule out different reasons and then be treated correctly for the right thing. I hope you are able to feel better soon and able to be out and around more soon.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Frequent Advisor
sunritef
Total Posts: 2,568
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

can you share with us your definition of good control and how often you are testing.  Highs, lows and swings can knock us all for loops,  The fact that you are taking a fixed dosage of Novo per meal, and a fair amount at that, is the reason I'm asking.  GIve us some details about your numbers, routine and we might uncover a different cause...

You go to school to learn, not for a report card.
You use your meter to learn, not for a report card

Type 1 (LADA).. Novolog/Levemir

Adult onset T1
Established Advisor
sis59
Total Posts: 931
Registered on: ‎12-12-2009

I agree with sunrite, 20 units of Novo per meal sounds like a lot for a type 1, especially consistently.  I don't know about the depression, but I think some basal testing is in order, in case you're overcompensating the Novo to make up for a shortage in the Lantus.

-Sue
Type 1, diagnosed at age 38
OmniPod pump using Apidra insulin
Dexcom CGM

My adult son was diagnosed type 1 at age 4
MiniMed Revel pump and CGM
Apidra insulin
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

Good for pointing out the high Novorapid (Novolog) dose. I noticed it as well and thought the same thing as well

Also noticed the weight at 80 kg which would be 36 lbs so I figured that was a misprint.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Super Advisor
gb2847
Total Posts: 775
Registered on: ‎04-10-2011

I echo the suggestion to have your thyroid thoroughly checked.  The signs and symptoms of under-active thyroid include extreme fatigue, and symptoms of depression.

Another thing to consider is sleep apnea.  I believed I was getting lots of sleep, my thyroid has been well under control with the proper dosage of meds, and my betes was doing pretty well, too.  However I was always tired, feeling more like a zombie than a normal person, and began to have memory lapses that scared me.  It turns out that I have SEVERE obstructive sleep apnea.  I stopped breathing 46 times per hour, waking each time just enough to be sleep deprived, but have no memory of it.  The hypoxia that would occur at night caused my memory lapses.  I was also feeling like I was sliding into depression.

Now that the sleep apnea is being treated, my blood sugar is better, my blood pressure is back to where it used to be (low side of normal), I have more energy, and don't feel like a zombie anymore.  Everything is better! 

I learned through this how devestating sleep deprivation can be.  I also learned how stealthy sleep apnea can be.  I didn't even snore much.  We were all surprised at my house.

I hope you get the correct diagnosis and treatment soon.

gb2847
Diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 by mistake --1/26/11
Diagnosed correctly with Type 1-- 4/5/11 (just before 47th birthday)
using Animas pump and Dexcom cgm
Also have Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Asthma, Osteo Arthritis, Osteo Pinea, Gastroparesis, GERD, Hypersensitivity to irritants in environment (lungs, eyes), and Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Occasional Visitor
Alawadhi1980
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎12-27-2012

1st a thank you to all is in order, just seeing all these replies made me happy

2nd I will try your advices one by one elimination method

I tried increasing my Lantos to 32 I feel a bit better and I drink Ginger with tea to energize myself

I did some community work for a homeless man 67 years old I hope that will make better

Diabetic doctors are morons

I will try to get better somehow: Is Lantos no good? Is Porcine Insulin better?

80 Kg ~ 176 pounds

Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,207
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

[ Edited ]

What country are you from?

I'm curious why you are focusing on the Lantus? or rather, why you feel porcine insulin might be better? 

I find it very hard to find articles that support  what you have heard. what is it you don't like about Lantus? 

while most  of us have issues with our doctors, I would never make a blanket statement that "doctors are morons", especially without backing it up with examples of how I am managing my diabetes currently. Please share more. There are many combined years of experience on here that can help you.

Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.