Frequent Responder
amg1099
Total Posts: 97
Registered on: ‎06-26-2011
Helpful Response

Diet cranberry juice

Is diet cranberry juice safe for us to drink?  It does have 2 grams of carbs.

AIC
5/24/11 - > 12
7/29/11 - 7.3

2 units of Humalog before breakfast
3 units of Humalog before lunch
4 units of Humalog before dinner
10 units of Lantus at bedtime.
Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,199
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Diet cranberry juice

Safe? it is not a "freebie" like crystal light or diet soda with zero carbs. And i seem to recall that the very light cranberry juice actually had little actual juice - if thats true than the benefit of cranberry juice (ie for urinary health) may be minimal.

I would drink a 2 carb gram portion without taking insulin, but
since i adjust insulin based on the amount of carbs i consume, i would most likely take a small bolus of humalog if drinking a large glass of it.
Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.
Frequent Responder
amg1099

yeah i didn't really drink that much.  perhaps 1 cup.

AIC
5/24/11 - > 12
7/29/11 - 7.3

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,339
Topics: 307
High Fives: 673
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

AMG,

Before you have another cup (8 oz.), do a fingerpoke first. Then do one at about 45 min, 1 hr, 1-1/4 hr. That will tell you if you need to bolus for it. Some of those diet drinks have other ingredients (=other type of sugars). Even though the total gram count is 2, those *others* - could be just enough to bring your Bg way up.

What was the serving size for those 2 grams? Did you measure out 8 oz., or was it a 12 oz cup, 4 oz cup? All of this makes a huge difference.

What I do with any poured juice type drink (or milk), is this....I use a standard 4 oz juice glass. That 4 oz. mark is at the rim, not the top of the glass. Use a standard wet measuring cup, so you know where the 4 oz. mark would be. Mark it with a sharpie or tape if you have to, until you can eyeball it perfectly. Hope this helps.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,199
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I looked it up - it is 2 g for 8 oz so not bad.
Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.
Frequent Responder
amg1099

thanks

AIC
5/24/11 - > 12
7/29/11 - 7.3

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,339
Topics: 307
High Fives: 673
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

That's pretty decent then. Almost like a diet pop! Pam, if your hubs is drinking it, check the phosphorous count on it. It could be high. Compare it to a diet pepsi. I don't have one in the house tonight, or I would list it here.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~