Frequent Responder
putertech
Total Posts: 157
Registered on: ‎11-04-2009

Diabetic Neuropathy with a good A1c?

Can one get diabetic neuropathy, even with a good A1c? My last A1c (last Dec) was 6.3. The last couple days my feet and calves have really been hurting. This morning, my hands were just burning! I thought if we kept our A1c's good, the complications would stay away?
Could it be lack of walking? (I really slacked off on my walking lately.....just been depressed)
Not enough water?
Ideas?

Type 1
Currently on MDIs using Levemir and Novolog
Advisor
MaddieT1
Total Posts: 306
Registered on: ‎11-23-2011

Re: Diabetic Neuropathy with a good A1c?

i just had this conversation with my CDE. My body will ache if I'm high and go to a semi-low quickly, mostly in my legs. My hands will tingle, kind of burn and ache, and hurt if I get a certain number for me it's about 150 (and stay at that number for a while).  I have a good A1C too but it's the fluctuations of blood sugars. Remember a good A1C is just an average, that could still mean you're having high numbers and low numbers, 200+ down to 50's, etc.... My CDE said it's not permanent, obviously, because it goes away when my blood sugars level out.  But it is my blood sugars. 

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,342
Topics: 307
High Fives: 673
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

putertech wrote:

Can one get diabetic neuropathy, even with a good A1c? My last A1c (last Dec) was 6.3. The last couple days my feet and calves have really been hurting. This morning, my hands were just burning! I thought if we kept our A1c's good, the complications would stay away?
Could it be lack of walking? (I really slacked off on my walking lately.....just been depressed)
Not enough water?
Ideas?

Kim,

Diabetic Neuropathy starts in the toes, then feet, and works its way up. It takes a long time to reach the hands, it took about 20 years, for me, to reach my hands.

At any rate, what you are describing, is not neuropathy. It sounds like your muscles have tightened up, and yes, could be from lack of walking.

Your electrolytes could also be lower than they should be - great possibility with the heat. The heat alone, could bring on the pain in the feet and calves. You could also need more water.

Have you started any new meds - some antibiotics make the hands burn - if one is somewhat sensitive to or allergic to them. Keflex does it for me. Maybe a new detergent or dish liquid, or bath soap, hand creme or lotion? The depression could also be playing a part in all of this.

Even with great A1c's and good control, one can get complications. It is however the straw is drawn, as to whom gets complications and whom does not.

Feel better soon. If it keeps up, you may want your doc to check it out.

Trisha

edited for something left off

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527

Neuropathy can be brought on by different things and diabetes is just one of them. .For me it was my Vitamin B levels being off plus having a corn allergy which brought on neuropathy symptoms. The corn allergy has been the worst culprit by far. For my Mother it is having systemic scleroderma which also brings on neuropathy.Definitely let your doctor know what is going on

Definitely keep a diary of your symptoms, what you were doing, what you had eaten, etc. when the symptoms appeared

and how long they lasted, etc. When you see your doctor you will have the necessary information for him or her to know what

to do. I wish you the best in figuring out what is causing your symptoms.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Advisor
MaddieT1

[ Edited ]

These ideed can very well be 'neuropathy like symptoms' and non-permanent, as I mentioned yesterday, per my Endo and CDE. I get this too. It could very well be non-D related. It could very possibly be due to blood sugars and fluctuations, highs, etc...I get a lot of pain, tingling, numbness, burning in my hands when my blood sugars are off, more then my toes.

Just as we have to excessively pee, our vision goes blurry, fuzzy, bad, our bodies ache, muscles cramps and every other horrible symptom we get when our blood sugars are too high, off, etc...it doesn't mean our kidney(s) are failing, we're losing our vision (retinopathy), our limbs are damanged, permanently...but we still can have these sypmtoms and they can be ANYWHERE in our bodies where will have nerves, organs, cells, muscles, tissue, etc...

Blood sugars effect everything.   Also, unfortunately, it does not take 20+ years to develop permanent damage of any kind when it comes to diabetes. Some are very fortunate, have had D for years, had bad control and have no complications. Some have had diabetes for only years good control with complications...that's the problem with this diease, it effects every BODY differently. Some bodies just cannot tolerate high or fluctuating blood sugars, no one can say when or what will happen in terms of complications for this.

Advisor
MaddieT1

Also, my Endo told me nearly everyone of his diabetes patients has pain in calves, muscle cramps, it's part of the disease.  Good luck, I'd discuss with doctor too.

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,342
Topics: 307
High Fives: 673
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71

MaddieT1 wrote:

Also, my Endo told me nearly everyone of his diabetes patients has pain in calves, muscle cramps, it's part of the disease.  Good luck, I'd discuss with doctor too.

Did he say specifically as a direct result of having diabetes?

I've never in 30 years, had pain nor cramps in the calves, as a direct result of diabetes.

However, below the reference range on Potassium does it very well. Potassium levels that are above or below the reference range, can be VERY detrimental to one's health. Low Potassium is caused be several factors. Potassium is also one of the electrolytes, as is sodium and magnesium.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Frequent Responder
putertech

Thanks for your replies! I'm tending toward fluctuating sugars for the cause of my pain and the burning. I had had high readings for half a day prior to this (stress....). They're back to "normal" and I'm feeling better. I'll keep a closer eye on when it happens and note what my BGs are at the time.

Thanks again!

Type 1
Advisor
MaddieT1

[ Edited ]

So glad to hear you're feeling better!  :smileyhappy:   Mine goes away too once my sugars stabilize. I don't know if you ever get like numbness around your mouth - lips, your vision gets distorted (seeing spots, etc..) when you're low or blood sugars dropping..it's the same thing with limbs, they too can be effected by the rise, fall, drop in blood sugars. it's nerves and often not permanent. 

Frequent Responder
putertech

My eyes burn when I'm high, and if I'm really low, I see a bright light in the shape of the iris of my eye when I blink and/or close my eyes....weird.

Type 1