Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Diabetes and Hair Loss

Diabetes and Hair Loss

To All Oct-29-09 4:40 PM 12454.1 1 of 8

From lanz3132
Posts 104

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced hair loss from diabetes. I have had poor control for awhile...then I got it under control...now it's out of whack again.

Does anyone know if the hairloss is due to poor sugar control? Maybe nerve damage?

Ahh. I hate diabetes. It affects EVERYTHING.

RatingOptionsReplyQuote and Reply

To lanz3132 � unread � Oct-29-09 4:43 PM 12454.2Reply to 12454.1 2 of 8

From N3QE
Posts 1079

Hypothyroidism, which often occurs in people with T1 diabetes because it's also an endocrine autoimmune thing, has as one of its symptoms hair loss.

It's easy to get your TSH and other thyroid stuff checked as part of your regular lab bloodwork.

Tim.

To lanz3132 � unread � Oct-29-09 4:52 PM 12454.3Reply to 12454.1 3 of 8

From Kelly
Posts 3802

I had the same thought as Tim - your thyroid. Even though I have been on thyroid medicine for years, mine went out of whack this spring. The woman that cuts my hair noticed something was not right with my hair before I found out that my thyroid was whacked again.

If you had a test done recently, don�t accept the value and ask specifically what it is. Some doctors & labs go by old ranges and they will say that it is normal. One person might feel like crap and have symptoms at 3 while another might be fine at 4.

How is the pump process going?

Kelly from PA

T1, Jan 84, Levemir 3x/Day, Apidra 9-12x/Day

�The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible� (Arthur C. Clarke)

To Kelly Oct-30-09 12:14 AM 12454.4Reply to 12454.3 4 of 8

From Liz71
Posts 125

Hey Kelly just the person I was looking for

Got a couple of questions for you about your insulin.

Where can I find information on both insulins you are taking?

And how do you like them. My husband is having problems with his BG and I think it's due to insulin his BG's are doing rollercoasters on him and for the life of me I can't figure it out.It's driving both of us nuts I think more me than him cuz I've had D longer.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Liz

Diabetes living with me for 36 years I'm not living with it!!!!!!

Pumping with minimed 722 and using CGMS

To lanz3132 � unread � Oct-30-09 8:28 AM 12454.5Reply to 12454.1 5 of 8

From brettwoods
Posts 6

Hi,
I am only recently diagnosed with Type 1, however while my symptoms were developing my Gradual hair loss over a 6 month period was quite considerable, I am 37. Following my diagnosis and my good control of my BG my hair has thickened and actually grown back quite dark, rather than blonde which it always been.

It could possibly be simply that my health has improved, but thought I would share...

Cheers

Brett

To lanz3132 � unread � Oct-30-09 9:53 AM 12454.6Reply to 12454.1 6 of 8

From laurafog
Posts 1246

Hey, hair loss could be because of problems with your thyroid, but also could be from poor control, at least that was the case for me. Way back when I was diagnosed, my hair was falling out to the point that I had barely enough for a ponytail, and not a good ponytail either, more like a few tufts of cotton stretched out from the end of a Q tip. Also, I had been throwing up for a year so maybe my hair loss had something to do with that? I just know that once I was diagnosed, and got good control, my hair came back, and the dullness went away too. As a teenage girl, that was the thing that kept me in line (kidney failure - no problem, blindness - big deal, lose my hair- WTF? tell me what to do and I will do it!). Take care of you, Laura : )

To lanz3132 � unread � Oct-30-09 10:38 AM 12454.7Reply to 12454.1 7 of 8

From Toxikfoxx
Posts 13

Pre Diagnosis all of my friends thought I was going bald. I would literally leave a hairball behind after every shower. Now though, my hair is just like it was when I was in my teens (though Darker for some odd reason?)

To Liz71 � unread � Oct-30-09 2:17 PM 12454.8Reply to 12454.4 8 of 8

From Kelly
Posts 3802

Hi Liz,

I switched to both Levemir & Apidra after reading about them on the board. If you haven�t done so already, try going to www.levemir.com & www.apidra.com - they both have some info on their sites that might be useful.

Lantus did not work very well for me - my BS bounced all over the place. In fairness, I was never told I could do 2 shots instead of one. When I first came to this board, I read other people had the same problem with Lantus and preferred Levemir. I asked my doctor to switch me. One problem with the Levemir is that it only lasts 7 hours for me - I have done repeated basal tests to make sure. But I am not having all the rollercoasters I was before, so I can live with that.

I find the Apidra a lot more consistent than Humalog was. Most people seem to think it is faster, but it really isn�t for me. I still pre-bolus. I like the fact that it is out of your system faster. When you have to make corrections or split up shots, you don�t have all the tails from insulin hanging around.

Maybe his doctor can give him some samples to try before his switches his script. My doctor gave me samples of both. With the Levemir, he also handed me a script but didn�t with the Apidra because he was also concerned it would be too fast for me. I liked it and called to ask for the script. I love both of them and you could never get me to switch back!

Good luck!

Kelly from PA

T1, Jan 84, Levemir 3x/Day, Apidra 9-12x/Day

�The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible� (Arthur C. Clarke)

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Long Lost Member
amber_n_griff@yahoo.com
Total Posts: 93
Registered on: ‎11-30-2009

Diabetes and Hair Loss

How old are you? I agree on thyroid too.. a complete thyroid, not just the usual two.

my hair was always fine, but, two yrs ago, I realized it really is less. come to find out, women lose hair as they age = EYEBROWS (didn't know THAT!), arms, legs, public, etc..

isn't that horrid? I have to wear a hat in the Summer or my scalp burns now!
Hokumanu
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎09-13-2012

Re: Diabetes and Hair Loss

Hi,

I am really new to this Diabetes thing.  I have Type 2 and am still working on getting my blood sugars down.  I also am experiencing hair loss, and it's really freaking me out.  When does it stop? Is this even normal? Am I going to loose most of my hair?  I don't know what to do, and it's really scary when you don't know anything about being Diabetic.  Anyone have any advice.

Advisor
MaddieT1
Total Posts: 306
Registered on: ‎11-23-2011

there was a discussion yesterday on the news on low Vitamin D and hair loss. Many type 1's are vitamin deficient.  Something to maybe check in to.

Advisor
browneyez80
Total Posts: 102
Registered on: ‎10-14-2011

Hang in there...Are you losing weight? Are you taking a muti-vitamin?

After I was diagnosed, I lost a lot of weight around 75 pounds in a very short time & was freaked out...I got bloodwork done & then saw my doctor...I started taking vitamins & went to health food store & bought supplements that was for HAIR & that helped & I started eating better & my hair stopped falling out & started to grow...You may want to consider taking at least a mutivitamin...It helped me, this happend to me, this is just friendly advice, im not a doc or nurse its just advice....My hair SLOWLY grew back, but it took time..I wore hats a lot & just had to be patient...

((Huggers))

Take Care

-- Medtronic MiniMed Insulin Pump 723 - since Sept 2010
-- Continuous Glucose Monitor Sensor - since Sept 2010
-- Pumping Novolog Insulin & Loving it

Diagnosed Type 1 Insulin Dependent Diabetic - Due to Necrotizing Pancreatitis Surgery (removed 70% of Pancreas)
Advisor
Chickwithsticks
Total Posts: 96
Registered on: ‎07-24-2012

Hi Trisha,

First I hope  you are feeling better after your bike accident, poor thing. 

Your question on hairloss, even though I was diagnosed last April of this year with Type 1, right after that diagnosis I noticed significant hairloss, coming out in handfulls!  I asked my Endo about it, she said that is due to  the high sugar levels I had before being diagnosed with type one. I was at 560 when I went into the hospital in April. She also said that once my sugars got back in control, that my hair would also come back in about 4-6 months. It's been 5 months now and I can tell you with great relief I do see my hair growing back in. I have "sprouts" of it on my part that are at least 2 inches long coming back and of course they stick straight up and weird, but hey I'll take that. 

I do drink 1% milk with Vitamin D at every meal (8oz) and that helps too. My cholesterol is extremely good so the little fat in the milk doesn't affect me having it at each meal. 

hope this helps you and be well!

Linda

Type 1, Diagnosed April 23, 2012
MDI's
Humalog, Lantus
Dexcom G4 CGM
Established Advisor
sis59
Total Posts: 930
Registered on: ‎12-12-2009

Linda,

I had to chuckle when I read about your hair sticking up and weird.  When my hair was short and growing out, it also stuck out in all directions, it looked awful.  It is finally  almost shoulder length, and looks much better, at least I can put it in a ponytail when I'm having a bad hair day now.  My hair is fine but since going gray it is coarser so not as fine.  My hair is very sparse where the bangs are and my thyroid is off, anyone else have that problem?

-Sue
Type 1, diagnosed at age 38
OmniPod pump using Apidra insulin
Dexcom CGM

My adult son was diagnosed type 1 at age 4
MiniMed Revel pump and CGM
Apidra insulin
Super Advisor
leehr
Total Posts: 2,185
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Hi Sis; it was confusing as to who sent this message from what I received so hope I have the person who asked about hair loss.

My hair began thinning and I thought it was due to age.  However, I checked my Lab reports and asked if my Thyroid medication could be raised.  It was by my Endo at the time and since than, although more thin that when I was much younger, it it holding it own as to thickness now. 

I also watch what type of shampoo I use (without too many ingredients); and one that offers providing more fullness to  dry hair.

I also do not use a hair dryer; suggested by my Endo years ago.  I have naturally curly hair but if one does not,  the sun dries my hair quickly in summer.  During the winter I sit by a window to dry my hair - it works!

Joan 

* Type 1 Diagnosed for 56 years as of Nov 2013
* 50 Year Type 1 Medalist Award from Joslin Diabetes Clinic (Harvard Medical School)
* Medtronic Paradigm Revel 523 insulin pump as of March 2011
* Insulin: Humalog
* Food Allergies: milk, yeast, corn
* Hashimoto's thyroid disease
* A bit of arthritis
* One kidney due to benign Angiomyolipoma.
* Volunteer Community Disaster Co-Coordinator
* Hobbies/Interests: Wildlife Naturalists, artist, gardening, music
Advisor
Chickwithsticks
Total Posts: 96
Registered on: ‎07-24-2012

Hi Sue, 

Yes, the "sprouts"  of 2 inch hairs are funny. And now I realize this message about hairloss wasn't from Trisha, guess I'd better read better. I don't have an issue with my thyroid but I do know that can cause thinning of the hair too.

Linda

Type 1, Diagnosed April 23, 2012
MDI's
Humalog, Lantus
Dexcom G4 CGM
Established Advisor
sis59
Total Posts: 930
Registered on: ‎12-12-2009

Hi Joan,

I also air dry my hair; I have a hair dryer, but prefer to air dry it.  I have been searching for DIY solutions for hair, and read to use baking soda in water to wash hair, and apple cider vinegar in water for a rinse (1-2 tsp in 8 oz water for each).  The rinse says to pour it on the hair and leave it on, not rinse out with water.  I have been using it and like the results. 

It appears that this topic was resurrected from 2009 or 2010, not sure why or by whom, maybe Trisha knows?

-Sue
Type 1, diagnosed at age 38
OmniPod pump using Apidra insulin
Dexcom CGM

My adult son was diagnosed type 1 at age 4
MiniMed Revel pump and CGM
Apidra insulin