Occasional Responder
timkelli
Total Posts: 8
Registered on: ‎04-14-2012

Conversion Humulog insulin pump to Lantus help.

At amusement park and can't take pump because of magonates on rides. Have Lantus, but need to know how much to take? Pump 24 hour total is 42.9 units. I thought about taking 30 units of lantus and taking humulog with syringes to cover meals. Email me at timkelli@yahoo.com

Frequent Responder
putertech
Total Posts: 157
Registered on: ‎11-04-2009

Re: Conversion Humulog insulin pump to Lantus help.

Is your basal total the 42.9, or is that the total for the day between basal and bolus? You only want to dose the Lantus based on your total basal only.

Just for an FYI - when I was on the pump, my total basal for the day was 12.5. Now that I'm back on Lantus/Humalog - I take 15u of Lantus and the Humalog as needed.

Kim

Type 1
Currently on MDIs using Levemir and Novolog
Long Lost Member
abigaildesimone
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎06-27-2012

When i switched for surgery my dr advised what was best for me... I wiuld suggest you have a back up plan apporved by your doc before making changes
Super Advisor
leehr
Total Posts: 2,196
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

[ Edited ]

timkelli wrote:

At amusement park and can't take pump because of magonates on rides. Have Lantus, but need to know how much to take? Pump 24 hour total is 42.9 units. I thought about taking 30 units of lantus and taking humulog with syringes to cover meals. Email me at timkelli@yahoo.com

mkelli>   I may be too late to provide help for you this time. 

Best to know what to do before an activity and/or when pump is not working.  Switching to injections with two kinds of insulin is not the wisest action to take until you have a plan that you discussed thoroughly with your doctor.

For the next amusement trip: It is possible to disconnect the pump for about an hour but I suppose that is not enough time to enjoy the amusement park!  :smileyhappy:

Use common sense and do not be foolish like taking insulin by injection without knowing how to figure the amount of insulin. 

Play it safe!

Joan

* Type 1 Diagnosed for 57years as of Nov 2014
* 50 Year Type 1 Medalist Award from Joslin Diabetes Clinic (Harvard Medical School)
* Medtronic Paradigm Revel 523 insulin pump as of March 11, 2011
* Insulin: Humalog
* Food Allergies: milk, yeast, corn
* Hashimoto's thyroid disease
* A bit of arthritis
* One kidney due to benign Angiomyolipoma.
* Volunteer Community Disaster Co-Coordinator
* Hobbies/Interests: Wildlife Naturalists, artist, gardening, music