Occasional Responder
MizDaisy
Total Posts: 6
Registered on: ‎10-27-2011

Breathalyzer tests

Recently my significant other  had 1 drink with dinner at Pm, followed  by several cups of coffee and a few cigarettes.  On his way home, he  received a DUI.  His blood sugar was quite high at the time and he registered 1.8 on the field breathalyzer test.  The test was done with his dentures in, after he has used mouthwash with alcohol in it. 

I desperately need accurate information on how each of these can affect a breathalyzer test.  I understand the high/low blood sugar level can give a false positive of +1.0.  I also have read that smoking can add to that but by how much???  

Thank you very much!!!

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,339
Topics: 307
High Fives: 673
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 71
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Breathalyzer tests

[ Edited ]

MizDaisy wrote:

Recently my significant other  had 1 drink with dinner at Pm, followed  by several cups of coffee and a few cigarettes.  On his way home, he  received a DUI.  His blood sugar was quite high at the time and he registered 1.8 on the field breathalyzer test.  The test was done with his dentures in, after he has used mouthwash with alcohol in it. 

I desperately need accurate information on how each of these can affect a breathalyzer test.  I understand the high/low blood sugar level can give a false positive of +1.0.  I also have read that smoking can add to that but by how much???  

Thank you very much!!!

For what reason was he given the DUI? Is he Type 1? Did he have his meter and strips with him? Did he test before driving? Did he have a Medical ID on - at the time he was stopped?

I'm not a drinker, but do smoke, and have no idea as to how those tests work. I don't think, however, that the smoking would have affected the test - maybe if smoking other than cigs or cigars? Have no idea how any of that works, sorry. Maybe one of the other members, may have knowledge or training, as to how that test works. Since we are not doctors nor lawyers, we may not be of much help?

p.s. I do think that the high Bg's would most certainly affect the test, but no idea as to how much. This is one of the reasons for wearing Medical ID, so as not to be mistaken for being drunk. (I'm not saying your SO was or was not)

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Frequent Advisor
withloveandagun
Total Posts: 211
Registered on: ‎09-28-2011

I found this...

5 Tips On How To Avoid A False DUI Breathalyzer Result

Let's say you had a drink or two but don't feel you are under the influence of alcohol. However, you are arrested on suspicion of drunk driving and offered the choice of taking a breath or blood test (or, in some states, urine). Most DUI suspects choose the breath test - a choice which could doom your chances to prove your innocence. Consider the following advice when deciding which test to take:

1. If you smoke cigarettes, you may want to pass on that Breathalyzer mouthpiece the officer is handing you. Scientific research has shown that smoking can raise the test result considerably - enough to get you charged and convicted of drunk driving. This is because most breath analyzing devices will falsely report acetaldehyde as alcohol. Acetaldehyde is a compound produced in the liver in small amounts as a by-product in the metabolism of alcohol. However, scientists have found acetaldehyde concentrations in the lungs of smokers are far greater than for non-smokers. ("Origin of Breath Acetaldehyde During Ethanol Oxidation: Effect of Long-Term Cigarette Smoking", 100 Journal of Laboratory Clinical Medicine 908). Translated: because breathalyzers can’t tell the difference between alcohol and acetaldehyde, cigarette smokers will have a higher blood-alcohol reading.

2. If you are a diabetic with possible low blood sugar, you should also avoid the breath test. A well-documented by-product of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is a state called ketoacidosis, which causes the production of acetone - and acetone, like acetaldehyde, will be reported by the Brethalyzer as alcohol. In other words, the Breathalyzer will read significant levels of alcohol on a diabetic’s breath where there may be little or none. See "Diabetes, Breath Acetone and Breathalyzer Accuracy: A Case Study", 9(1) Alcohol, Drugs and Driving (1993). To make matters worse, the reactions of a person in the early stages of a diabetic attack include dizziness, blurred vision, slurred speech, weakness, loss of coordination and confusion - the same symptoms which the patrol officer is looking for: the clear signs of a person under the influence of alcohol. And the officer's observations are quickly followed by a failing performance on DUI field sobriety tests.

3. Are you on a low-carb diet? Or had nothing to eat in quite awhile? Avoid the Breathalyzer in a DUI investigation -- for the same reasons stated in number 2. Perfectly normal, healthy individuals can experience temporary conditions of low blood sugar after consuming small amounts of alcohol, resulting in exaggerated but false symptoms of intoxication. Fasting glycemia can exist where a person has not eaten in 24 hours or has been on a low-carbohydrate diet. Production of glucose in the liver is stopped while the alcohol is broken down. Result: the blood sugar level will drop, affecting the central nervous system - and producing symptoms of a person under the influence of alcohol and a higher breath test result.
Click Here!

4. If you have acid reflux or have burped or belched before taking the Breathalyzer, offer to provide a blood sample instead. The reason is that you will be breathing alcohol from your stomach into your throat and oral cavity, where it will stay for 20 minutes or so - to be breathed directly into the breath machine. This is not a good thing. The machine's computer is multiplying the amount of alcohol in the breath sample by 2100 times to provide a reading of the alcohol in the blood. This is because it assumes the sample came from the lungs, not the stomach, and the average person has 2100 units of alcohol in his blood for every unit of alcohol in his breath (called the partition ratio). The Breathalyzer does not "know" that your breath sample is not from your lungs and that it should not multiply the alcohol level by anything. Result: false high readings - and a DUI conviction.

5. When you see that officer in the rear-view mirror, don't reach for the mouthwash or breath spray to disguise the drink or two you've had. Most of them contain significant levels of alcohol (Listerine, for example is 27% alcohol) and create a mouth alcohol effect: they remain in the oral cavity for 20 minutes or so - just long enough to be breathed into the Breathalyzer, with the same results mentioned in number 4. Some breath machines have a mouth alcohol detector, but these are highly unreliable.

This article was written by a Las Vegas DUI Lawyer

06/2012 - Potential Hasimoto's Thyroiditis diagnosis

MDI
Lantus 28 units morning; 28 units nighttime;
Novolog I:C Ratio (1:5g); Sensitivity Factor: (1:30mg/dL)
Metformin ER 1000mg 2x/day
Synthroid 50mcg
08/2011 - A1C 14.8
09/2011 - A1C 13.5
01/2012 - A1C 8.5
04/2012 - A1C 7.6
06/2012 - A1C 8.3 (EUGH!)
09/2012 - A1C 7.2
10/2012 - A1C 7.3
01/2013 - A1C 5.7
03/2013 - A1C 5.6
Pregnancy Related Medications:
CitraNatal 90 DHA
Centrum Pronutrients Fruit & Veggie 2 pills 1x/day

Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,199
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I personally would not recommend passing on a breathylizer test. In CT at least, whiile you have the RIGHT to refuse it, that right comes with an automatic 6 month suspension of your drivers license. the lawyer for my friend also said it is easier for a lawyer to discredit the breathylizer than when someone has passed on the test.

To the OP- I'd recommend getting a lawyer. Your partners story sounds a little fishy to me, but truthfulluy, my opinion doesn. 't matter, just the judge's. good luck
Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.
trisha01

Mari

It may be more credible for the OP, if you provide the actual link to this article, please. Thanks

Trisha

Trisha

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

trisha01

To the OP- I'd recommend getting a lawyer. Your partners story sounds a little fishy to me, but truthfulluy, my opinion doesn. 't matter, just the judge's. good luck

I agree with this. That's also, one of the reasons, that I asked the questions I did.

Trisha

Trisha

Frequent Responder
sharon103070
Total Posts: 571
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

I thought the article that Mari posted was informative as far as the smoking and mouthwash however, the "lawyer" who supposedly wrote it should learn a little more about diabetes before he writes about it...I mean, basic stuff. He wrote "a well-documented by-product of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is a state called ketoacidosis..."

Sharon

Type 1 since March 29, 1983 (12 years old)
Using a minimed pump since 2004
trisha01

He wrote "a well-documented by-product of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is a state called ketoacidosis..."

Sharon,

Good catch!

Trisha

Trisha

Occasional Responder
MizDaisy

Thank you!!!

Occasional Responder
MizDaisy

Oops, I said 1.8....it was .092.  Thanks for all the info.