Long Lost Member
burgh74
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎12-30-2009

BLUE hand

It has been a long time since I have been on this message board, but I need some advice!  Yesterday my left hand, started to turn BLUE.  I test my BS about 10-15 times a day on this hand.  Yes my hand does hurt, but not enought to take pain meds.

Background info:

• T1 39 years - no complications until now
  • Insulin Pump
  • not currently using a  CGM
  • A1C 5.9 - 6.2

My husband wants me to go to a patent first center today - I would rather wait to call the dcotor on Modnay.  Any suggestion or ideas would be helpful,

thanks

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,790
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Re: BLUE hand

burgh74 wrote:

It has been a long time since I have been on this message board, but I need some advice!  Yesterday my left hand, started to turn BLUE.  I test my BS about 10-15 times a day on this hand.  Yes my hand does hurt, but not enought to take pain meds.

Background info:

• T1 39 years - no complications until now
  • Insulin Pump
  • not currently using a  CGM
  • A1C 5.9 - 6.2

My husband wants me to go to a patent first center today - I would rather wait to call the doctor on Monday.  Any suggestion or ideas would be helpful,

thanks

I would not wait to call the doctor on Monday. I would go to the Patent First Center RIGHT NOW!

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Responder
smith541
Total Posts: 30
Registered on: ‎01-30-2011

I'd go now, you could have something going on impeding blood supply to your hand that could be addressed sooner rather than later.  Sometimes I think those of us who have lived with a serious chronic condition for many years (like 30+ as we both have) tend to get to a place where we have a higher tolerance to health issues than the average bear and that can cause us to wait longer for care for things that don't seem all that urgent to us, but others look at and ask, do you need a ride to the medical center right now? 

I'd go with your husband's judgement on this one and at least get it checked out.  There have been several times over the last few years when my husband has urged me to get care for something right away that I was going to wait out and he's often (but not always!) right in the end.  Good luck!

Alice
Type 1 since 1978
First 30 or so years on injections
OmniPod for the last two years
MiniMed Paradigm 523 as of 2/8/11

Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

It sounds like Raynaud's but I would definitely have it checked out. One thing with Raynauds is that you can see improvement if you warm up your hands. But even saying that it is imperative that you have this checked out. Wishing you the best.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Super Advisor
ndali
Total Posts: 528
Registered on: ‎11-10-2009

It does sound like Renauds. I have it, and my hands can turn white and purple in temps of 55 degrees. Were you in chilly weather? I typically have to warm them up or they will stay discolored
Diagnosed T1 January 1987
Pumping since 2001
Diagnosed Raynaud's January 2010
Diagnosed Lupus January 2013

Long Lost Member
burgh74
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎12-30-2009

I did wait to see my primary care doctor until today, since my hand was getting better.  Yet, there is still a slight trace of blue.

My doctor did check me over completely and determined it was a fluke, UGH!!!  She was not concerned since, my hand improved, I was not in pain and the blood flow to my hand was good.

I am going to do some further reading on Raynaud.

Thanks for all of you input.