Frequent Advisor
Mary1WB
Total Posts: 224
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009
Helpful Response

Apidra vs Humalog

Hey All, I'm trying Apidra for the first time; any advice on how dosage compares between it and Humalog? So far today I'm just using the same calculations and it seems to be working alright.
Any observations from others who made the switch are greatly appreciated...Thanks!
T1 since '82.
OmniPod since 12-2012
Humalog
Just hoping I can continue to afford being an American diabetic.
trisha01
Total Posts: 6,354
Topics: 307
High Fives: 674
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 72
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Apidra vs Humalog

Mary,

I've used Novolog for several years now, which I understand is about the same, as Humalog. For me, when I used Apidra, it was in and out of my system in 3-3.5 hours. Novolog *used* to be about the same, but the last year or so, it is taking 3.5 to 4.5 hours to go away. As far as dosage, best I remember, Apidra was about the same as for Novolog, for me. HTH.

Trisha

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Established Advisor
jt_type1
Total Posts: 378
Registered on: ‎11-11-2009

I've used both and the doses were the same.  The only difference was which type of bolus I used.  Because apidra was so quick to work, any foods that took longer to digest I had to use the dual wave bolus and the percentages and timings were different.  But that is only if you have a pump.

Mommy of 2 happy kids, insane wife of a patient husband
Type 1 since 1984
A1C fluctuates between 5.8 to 7.1 depending how hard I work at it or slack off
Pumping since 1995
I started a blog:smileyhappy: www.type1nsons.com
Frequent Advisor
Mary1WB

Thanks TrIsha and Jen. This is just my 2nd day on Apidra but all went well with it yesterday. And it does seem to be the same dose as Humalog for me. We'll see. It's much more expensive than H, even though I now have ins. coverage through the new National PCIPLAN, it's brand new for me and I haven't used it yet. Still buying all insulin from Canada. If Apidra doesn't make a noticeable difference I'll keep using Humalog.
And just to clarify for whomever, I am Not a 'new member'. I haven't been here much since the big change from the old board, but I was there a good bit. And even remember when Trisha started posting. :-)
Like these new changes so far. Glad to have this valuable resource for questions, info and support!
T1 since '82.
OmniPod since 12-2012
Humalog
Frequent Advisor
Mary1WB

Oh okay, now I'm an 'occasional contributor'. That's accurate.
Y'all have a great day!
T1 since '82.
OmniPod since 12-2012
Humalog
Established Advisor
jt_type1

LOL!!  I thought the exact same thing about my "member status."  Mine updated too.  I can live with occasional though.  lol

Type 1 since 1984
Pumping since 1995
Super Advisor
Dennis1947
Total Posts: 812

Well, I've been interested in Apidra for one reason..

For a Correction Bolus to bring High BG's Down faster than Novalog..

Let me know how it works..will you?

Thanks

trisha01
Total Posts: 6,354
Topics: 307
High Fives: 674
Blog Posts: 62
Solutions: 72

[ Edited ]

Mary,

Got a good laugh out of that! :smileyvery-happy:  And I remember when you asked me about my quote! That was so sweet of you! It's so good to have you back, and I'm thrilled that you now have insurance.

Ok, for you, Jen, and others that may read this, the new forum format, doesn't care if we've been on board for a thousand years. Thank Matt for that! :smileyvery-happy: :smileywink:  Go to Matt's (ADMIN) sticky at the top - titled "Hit Me with your best Shot", or something like that. He explains it there - I think. If not, I'll go hunt down the link and post it as a new topic. OR you can hop over to the T2 board, and read the same named thread there - all four pages of it. Anyway, he devised this very intriguing, very mysterious way, of making if fun for us. We like fun! :smileyhappy:

p.s. while proofreading...when Mary referred to *the old board*, she was referring to the old original board, not that headache board we just finished up with.

Trisha 

Trisha

IDDM (Type 1 Autoimmune) 30+ years ~ Currently using MDI & Minimed CGM ~
Check out my diabetes blog!

All brittle means, is that one has great fluctuations, which is pretty much hallmark for Type 1's. Some more so than others. - me
  First light brings a new day, new hope, new wisdom, and a chance to start fresh again. - me

If everyone were dealt the same amount of cards, there would be no challenges in life. Challenges are part of life's lessons, to teach us to grow in all aspects, and to learn what we need to learn, to make it in this world. Life was not meant to be fair. -me

~ New Type 1 Info ~ Insulin, Test Strips, Lancets, and other meds ~ Kidney Damage Info ~

Established Advisor
jt_type1

[ Edited ]

p.s. while proofreading...when Mary referred to *the old board*, she was referring to the old original board, not that headache board we just finished up with.

Trisha 

lol...  i was on the old original board way back when. I remember Dennis and Doris and Mary.  It used to be a lot busier than now.  I like this format better though.  I just thought when I was given the new memeber title really? I'm considered new?  But its cool I just thought it was funny.:smileyvery-happy:

Type 1 since 1984
Pumping since 1995
Frequent Advisor
Mary1WB

I thought that was the same Jen posting. You had a baby a couple of years back, right?
I have wondered about some of the other 'old ' board folks. I actually saw a post from Doris on a FB diabetes page. I sent her a message but no response. What a character! :- D.
I like this format much better than the last one; much smoother.
T1 since '82.
OmniPod since 12-2012
Humalog